Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day + Handmade

My first memory of Earth Day was in 1991.....while attending Hartwick College in Oneonta, NY. The neighboring State University (SUCO), had an all day event planned, with bands, vendors and lots of information.

To be honest......I went for the music. Some of my favorite local bands were playing, the sun was shining, and we were all excited about the prospect of being outside, listening to music and escaping our day to day college life.

But, the day quickly became more than music. It was inspiring and motivating. Recycling, the rainforests and global warming were the hot topics (and they still are, 18 years later). I returned to campus with a new found appreciation for our Earth, and a new beaded necklace.

I loved that necklace..... a simple, beaded necklace. Handmade. And I loved it (that bears repeating). From that point, I made a conscious effort to buy more Handmade products. I went to street fairs, and filled my jewelry box with handmade goodies (many of which I still own). I went to bead shops, and started making earrings and necklaces (many of which I do not own...as I gave most of them away, or they reached an untimely demise).

I fell in love with creating. And I'm certain that April 22, 1991 is one of the reasons I do what I do today.

Happy Earth Day! And Hooray for Handmade!

No comments: